söndag 24 april 2016

Infrared reflection and time - infrared

Discovering new styles and techniques is something I crave and cherish on. With my background in photography I thought about how I can use a form of expression and fuse it with a technique I never used. The idea came from watching infrared images from the photographer Richard Mosse. With a traditional use of either black and white or colour images in documentary photography, Mosse breaks that barrier by using infrared technique to convey his message. With a strong story about the conflict in Congo, the usage of infrared images transfers it to a surreal, dreamlike state that blends abstract expressions with a social commentary.

My story with reflection and time is a contrast to the journey I made to San Francisco. I am from an Indian heritage and thus I felt that it was more suitable to have an image from there as a mirror from my roots.

Though I haven't used any traditional analogue film in this process, the digital version is not so far away in making infrared pictures. Taking these images I realize that a great deal of making a successful infrared picture comes with a balance of right light and enough green color. Using a ND filter helps in getting coverage in both the sky and the ground. Unfortunately I don't have one so I had to do a couple of tricks in photoshop to make it viewable.

Here are some old pictures mixed with new ones I took, according to the theme

India





The water had a green tone if you wonder how it turned out in a pink/purple color




San Francisco








Scouring the internet for the best solution in how to make an infrared picture by using photoshop I bumped into this video that goes through each step.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAgK--CmAwk

It's very easy to use if you have an image that is taken with the correct requirements.

Correct light - have to have coverage in the sky
Enough motives with either yellow or green tone

Some of my images taken have a burnt out sky (white sky) and therefore I had to either crop a little bit so it doesn't take over the images too much and make some adjustments from the original settings in the video to make the images correct.



Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar